I have been charged with an SP30 offence – what does it mean? | Smith Bowyer Clarke

Expert team of Barristers and Solicitors with years of experience in providing advice and representation in Road Transport Law.

I have been charged with an SP30 offence – what does it mean?

You have received a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) or Single Justice Procedure Notice (SJPN) with the offence code SP30. What does this mean?

It is an urban myth that the code SP30 relates to an offence of exceeding a 30 mph speed limit. Actually the offence refers to speeding in a car on any road that is not a motorway. SP30 is the offence code and the number 30 has no relation to the speed alleged. You could be charged with an SP 30 offence when you are doing 65 miles an hour on a country road.

Here are the codes relating to speeding offences:

SP10 Exceeding goods vehicle speed limit
SP20 Exceeding speed limit for type of vehicle (excluding goods or passenger vehicles)
SP30 Exceeding statutory speed limit on a public road
SP40 Exceeding passenger vehicle speed limit
SP50 Exceeding speed limit on a motorway

Below is a list of other commonly charged offence codes.

AC10 Failing to stop after an accident
CD10 Driving without due care and attention
CD20 Driving without reasonable consideration for other road users
CU10 Using a vehicle with defective brakes
CU30 Using a vehicle with defective tyres
CU80 Breach of requirements as to control of the vehicle, such as using a mobile phone
IN10 Using a vehicle uninsured against third party risks
LC20 Driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence
TS10 Failing to comply with traffic light signals
TS20 Failing to comply with double white lines
TS30 Failing to comply with ‘stop’ sign

If you have been charged with one or more of  the offences above do not hesitate to get in touch with one of our lawyers  – quick questions are free and it may be that early action can either save your licence or significantly reduce the trouble and hassle to find yourself in.

This entry was posted in Motoring Law. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

Ask a Question

Let us know how we can help. Just provide a brief outline of your query.

    Free Consultation